Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Touched

I was talking to a friend of mine last night. He's in a serodiscordant relationship, like I am, but on the other side of the equation, being the negative partner. They started seeing each other at the same time as my relationship started, so it's interesting to see how he and I deal with the challenges serodiscordance presents us with.

He was talking about a night recently where they made the same mistake we did, that the negative partner was inside the positive partner for a few minutes before they stopped and went back to condoms. It was good to hear someone on the other position saying that he knew it was silly, that it was at least as much his fault as his partner's. I felt I shouldn't worry about blame, that it was a joint responsibility.

What he then told me brought tears instantly to my eyes.

"He wants to do it again, not because he wants to risk infecting me, but because he wants to feel normal. He wants to feel like someone wants to touch him."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a college student living all the way across the world(!) in Seattle. I'm not HIV positive or gay myself, but I enjoy reading your blog very much. You have great personal courage in dealing with your diagnoses. I like your honesty and you're a great story teller. Especially since I'm studying to become a health care provider, your posts give me insight into somethings I never thought about regarding HIV/AIDS. Hope all is going well for you and keep posting!

-Joseph