Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Making a Living out of Dying

Strange position to find myself in at the moment, being offered work as a journalist for an HIV charity's magazine. I can't help but find myself wondering at whether or not this is a sensible thing for me to get involved with. Obviously, I want the journalistic experience, it's a matter close to my heart and I think I have useful things to say to people about the issues around HIV. However, I feel slightly odd about getting work off the back of my HIV status and could see how readily not the charity itself, but the general HIV third-sector industry could be somewhere that I could exploit the combination of my skill set and my status to make relatively rapid progress.

I've encountered a few people who are HIV+ as a career and I think it bears the same complextities as the people who are Professional Gays or working in and with whichever other minoritiy issue. The temptation to become immersed in it seems rife and I think I want to be careful to avoid that.

No comments: