Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Good News


Got up this morning a little earlier than I needed to, so went to the station with my boyfriend, then sauntered over to go and get acupuncture, telling them about the problems with my shins the last time I went in - they didn't really have a decisive answer for why I had a day of agony after the last treatment, nor really much of an apology, but I wasn't in a rush this morning, so I think that helped a lot with how the treatment today went.

Lay back, relaxed, feeling the warm glow of the needles radiating through my muscles, listening with my eyes closed while a woman talked about her CD4 count. My mind has been focused on the appointment my boyfriend and I have tonight to talk to a health advisor about how to ensure we remain a serodiscordant couple - assuming, of course, he tests soon and has the status he expects. Because I've been thinking about that, I'd kind of stopped thinking about my blood tests, having passed the window where they'd have called me to alert me to some kind of awkward result.

I got out of acupuncture, checked the time on my phone and thought, "What the hell," and phoned the results line, even though I was a couple of minutes after they were meant to close. Still, a familiar voice answered, a doctor I've seen once a while ago, so I was able to get my result.

Seven Hundred and Forty-Three.

Windswept, huddled against a brick wall like a smoker, I asked her to repeat it, my smile very probably audible over the line. Needless to say, this is good news, and is something I'd like to see maintained. I will still go in to talk to my doctor on Thursday to check about when I next need a test (presumably 4 months) and just to check if this might be a blip like the 85 result in December. I think, however, it won't be, because the percentage is correct, so it's not likely to be a machine fault. There's a normal level of fluctuation in CD4 results, but apparently that's more like 100-200 points shift.

So, why is my immune system in a better shape than since diagnosis? Well, as I say, I want to wait for this to be confirmed as a result, but since I'm in very good health, I would have imagined that to be accurate. I think a lot of it must be to do with lifestyle changes. In December, I was stressed out from moving flat, from breaking up with my ex, I've stopped going out on all-night clubbing benders, I've started getting acupuncture and, most significantly, I've stopped taking drugs.

I'm not going to extrapolate from one good result into a moral crusade. I'm just pleased that it's now meant I can forget about even contemplating medication for the time being. Hopefully, with a little luck, I can keep this level for a while. It makes sense, though, I'm no iller than any other person I know. I'm just going to relax and hope tonight goes well and that there's nothing to be afraid of in terms of passing this on to someone I'm incredibly fond of.

1 comment:

OLY said...

COngrats on the good news.. keep it up!